Friday, 26 December 2008

Scrooge McDuck

My pessimism may ring a little loud in this post. We've had a nice steady stream of (a-hem) the flu for the past couple of weeks. And it certainly didn't give us time off for christmas. Kalysta and Gwen seemed to have the worst of it this last week, now Beau and I have started. I think the babies were the first to have it a couple weeks ago, and their determined not to let go of this "stream" that seems to have become their friend. I just hope we can get rid of it faster than their little bodies. A lovely fever every other day for at least a week just doesn't seem enticing to me. But that seems to be the trend starting from the babies, carried on by Kalysta and Gwen. (Count yourselves blessed that I don't have pictures of the babies and their snot filled faces)

The christmas tree has had to take bakestage too, I think you can envision why. It is tucked nicely away behind the couch in the toy room. And since we were moving to England where we were told we would not have nearly the space we did in the states, a tree is about all of the christmas decorations that weren't left there in storage.

It just hasn't felt too much like christmas without family either, and with the sickies, I didn't want to spread "christmas cheer" in neighborly treats. Finding time to do christmas cards - humph, I'm hoping for more organized years in the future. Beau was just happy I was able to pull things together enough to hav ham, "company potatoes" and green bean casserole for dinner. The missionaries may have profited some from my abilities on boxing day, as they killed some time here too. Thank goodness for microwaves. And lucky for one of them "funeral potatoes" aren't just a "Utah thing". (Oh yah, Beau was just called as ward mission leader)

Thank you though to family and friends who are so organized and giving, who do not find these lame excuses I've given to bring treats, send packages and cards, phone calls and money. We love you so much. But most of all we love the Savior and his example beginning with his humble birth. It is through him that we are boueyed up and know "this too shall pass".

Sheesh, you'd think there was a death in the family. I really do find my greatest peace and joy through the Saviour and his plan for us. And am so grateful for family and friends. We are so blessed. The children (and us big kids) certainly profited in the gift department too. Thank you, Thank you, one and all!

5 comments:

Kaela said...

No fun! I'm sorry!! Hope you get rid of those bugs fast and are able to enjoy some good times before the girls have to go back to school!

Ali said...

I don't think having the flu is a lame excuse for ANYTHING- I am super impressed you did a ham dinner and all with all you had going on even. I'm sorry! That is one thing I know will be even harder with kids...when sickie comes to visit and has more bodies to visit, it just stays longer and the bigger family you have, the longer he'll stay :( I'm sorry. Hopefully he's on his way out!

Ethatch said...

Ahhhh, Sherrill, I'm sorry the flu hit your family so hard this time of year. I wish we were all closer too, so we could help with all of that. I enjoyed thinking this year that it is one more Christmas down that you will be so far away. Yeah, for Christmas's to come when the travel distance won't be so great!
Love and miss you all!
Mom

fagergrenfam said...

I am so sorry, I hope you guys have a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

Boy oh boy, what a fun few weeks you guys have had...can't think of anything more enjoyable. Tell the girlies Grandpa is on his way to the rescue. Beau, we just got our shot about 3-4 days ago. Hope it kicks in before Saturday. Headed to the big OC vs SO basketball game tonight. Big action here in Oldham County. Sorry I missed your web cam..too busy taking lights off the house..once again I recognize I am getting too old crawling around on the roof. :) See you guys in a week. Love ya's
Great pictures of everyone.