Thursday, 5 July 2007

Skipton Castle on the actual 4th of July

Some of the windows of the church didn't fare as well as others.
Half the chuch was under ground. Our sponsor has his foot maybe two feet up the wall in a hole to climb up this high. If you look close that is his head peering out the window.
The holy water for baptisms?
You can kind of see the holes Brother Smith used to climb up the wall to peer out this window.


Sorry, to start the tour with us, you'll have to scroll to the bottom of this post. I'll get the hang of this blogging thing yet!


Coat of arms

Can you tell this was toward the end of the tour.
What great helpers!





View from the third story watch tower.
We'll just say Ady wasn't the only one who was nervous on these stairwells





This is how their waste system worked, totally open, falling a huge distance and possibly hitting the river. (I'd hate to be walking under that part of the castle at certain times!)
There were long holes like this throughout the castle to aim their weapons out of and still be protected at the same time.






The stairwell from the dungeon was perfect height for our 12 year old friend. We're glad we don't have to spend more time in that dungeon.







The dungeon.







This might be the best picture of our sponsor's family. I used to think it was fun to hang out with people who had kids our same kids' ages. Now I know it is so nice to have the extra help, and they love and are great with the kids. The kids might enjoy the extra attention also.
I'm trying to remember the actual facts. I think you can google "Skipton Castle" and find out more actual facts. But I believe this castle is nearly 900 years old, the oldest castle that actually still has a roof.

3 comments:

Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...

I love these pictures! How fun this must have been to see these great castles. I love the picture of the three girls all together. And can I just say I am very excited to see that you have joined the blogging world. I've only been a blogger for a week and am loving it. Can't wait for your next post...

Kaela said...

I second everything "becca g" said! Thanks Sherrill and Beau! England looks amazing and you guys look like you are loving it.

Anonymous said...

WE MISS YOU!!!! COME BACK!!!!

Since I know you aren't, I'm glad you got a blog though! It'll be fun to see what you're up to! Looks like you're already having lots of fun adventures!

Easton wants to know if you're talking funny yet. And why people in England paint their faces. haha!