Saturday, 28 May 2011

Scotland

After leaving the 3 oldest with our Bishop's 17 year old daughter who had just finished school for the year, we drove the coastal route 3 and a half hours up to Edinburgh. The first night we just ate at the hotel and relaxed.
On Wednesday, we toured the Edinburgh castle and walked the royal mile. Aubry and Emmy were absolute troupers walking all day. Falling asleep in our arms. Rich and Jill kindly carried our souvenir bags, so we could carry our 35 lbs of dead weight (called sleeping toddlers) At one point I tried to wake Aubry up by putting her on her feet. But she stayed asleep and was walking like a drunk with her eyes closed. They slept so hard that night. Aubry semi-woke up in the night so I took her to the toilet. As soon as I had her pants down she relaxed before even setting her on the toilet. Let's just say she needed a shower afterward, and we hope they disinfect the bathroom floor too.
front of the castle
prison cell
The last day we headed out to the coast
This is a castle that is only open for tourists when the tide is out.
I think we stopped at three castles on our last day (Thurs) all within 2 hours. Edinburgh was very rocky and hilly (I need to find a better picture of the Edinburgh castle, built up in the middle of a massive rocky mountain/hill) And it seemed like everywhere you went a golf course was close by. All in all we had a great time, made greater because we were able to spend it with Beau's brothers and their wives. Kalysta, Ady, and Gwen had a great time staying for after school club (until 5 pm), having school lunches, and being with a teenager for 3 days.

6 comments:

Matt & Viki said...

looks like you all had fun! hope it goes just as well for us next week. Love the view at the beach, reminds me of the beaches here.

adventure knitter said...

We're going to the UK next month for our r&r! (can you say backpacking with 4 kids for 3 weeks??) I can't wait! I love your pictures (and your hair, with the braid in the front...is so cute!). Your twins are so cute! I can't believe how big all of your girls are.

Ali said...

I bet the twins loved all the one on one attention they got from you two. You have some gorgeous pictures there of you and Beau and you guys with your girls:) Glad you had such a fun trip. Looks BEAUTIFUL!

Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...

That looks absolutely beautiful!! I can't believe how much the twins have grown! So cute!!

Mary Kay said...

Oh, you're making me homesick for the UK (if that's what you can call it!) It's so odd to see you posing in front of the same places I've been. It seems like a dream that I was ever there now! Beautiful! You look amazing, too!

Kaela said...

Sooo beautiful!! Soooooo jealous:)