Tuesday, 15 May 2012

mothers day


"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts."
 ~Washington Irving~
I hope to be just like my mother for the very reason above. Our mother's day was sweet. Beau had early morning meetings and the girls were intent on making pancakes. Gwen wanted to break eggs (and hadn't before) The first one - success. Second - not so much - hit the floor. Their favorite pancakes are the german puff pancake variety. Our family now requires a double batch. The two oldest are quite good at doubling so I thought telling them to double the recipe would be doable. They started scratching out numbers on my actual recipe book which was a little buggy, but they didn't see anything wrong with it, and I knew their intentions were sweet. So I went upstairs after all of the eggs were sorted. Kalysta is quite terrified of all things hot. So I came down to supervise the oven insert. SPLOSH, more on the floor. She cleaned it up without a bat of an eye though. 20 minutes later squelches and screams of joy "the pancakes are ready." Again, I came down to manage the oven pass off - "uh-oh, a little sloshy. Let's review the doubling. Woops, all items doubled except flour and milk." Back in the oven it goes and maybe it will just be a bit more like scrambled eggs. 10 minutes later - squelches and screams "Pancakes are ready!" Table is set, sit down to eat. Kalysta takes the first bite. "This is a little salty." So I wonder if maybe the salt got more than doubled somehow. "The recipe called for 1/4 tsp. How much did you put in?" Half a cup! Oh, there may have been tears from my second child. Intentions were so pure. Thank goodness for cold cereal though.

3 comments:

Ethatch said...

Love that quote Sherrill. Thanks for the compliment. And, sounds like you did a perfect job of being that mother for the pancake saga. I always love your descriptions of what's going on there.

Kaela said...

Such a beautiful quote and so fitting for our mama. I hope to do the same for my kiddos:) Love, love, love this story!!! I'm sure this will be a favorite for years and years and years to come!!

Anonymous said...

Now that is one awesome morning.....such a good mother in teaching her children and guiding them in all they do. Saweet!
Dick and Rene