Monday, 19 September 2011

Kalysta's birthday week

It all started on the morning of Sunday the 11th. Kalysta wanted square pancakes (german) and pop tarts for breakfast. I know not too healthy, but she knew this may be her only chance to get away with that kind of breakfast. Then I knew Grandma Thatcher sent a dress so I let her open Grandma and Grandpa Thatchers gifts. She loved them all of course. Then we were off to church. After she wanted our usual lunch of mac n cheese mixed with peas. And she got to open Grandma and Grandpa Neal's gift which was a baby newborn furreal friend piglet. (She had saved her toothfairy money to buy one on base, but when she went to buy it, it was gone. She of course was thrilled with their gift (and t-shirt too) Then she's had quiche at Kate's house before and wanted that for her birthday dinner, but having so many eggs for breakfast, she would have to think of something else (I make a double batch of german pancakes. Yep, a dozen eggs) So she chose chicken pot pie. Then she opened the gifts from the family which were an outfit for her week long residential trip, a fluffy troll doll type of haired ball, and a rubber spikey ball. We went small this year since the residential trip required a new pair of tennis shoes, her new outfit, and is close to $345 just for the trip.
Since this is our last year here we figured they all needed a final birthday party, since they've each only had one other one. The Saturday before her birthday some other girls at school were having a party, so we went with a whole Saturday later (since after school is way too rushed for me to even get dinner on for my own family.) The pressure was on to include her favorites of horses and pigs, but not make it too juvenile.
This is what I came up with thanks to sisters and websites help.
Beau was very impressed with my crafty banner and runner. I was very impressed the Thursday Ripon market had the fabric I envisioned. The banner's letters are laminated with Velcro on the back. I felt I could use the fabric for Fathers day, Easter, thanksgiving, Halloween, and maybe even other birthday themes.
Kalysta invited 13 friend (11 were able to attend) That's a house full of 16 little girls. Ady, Gwen, Aubry and Emmy did well considering Oriental Trading only had packs of 12 porcelain piggy banks to paint so they didn't really get to participate in the fun. Beau did well to entertain them and be my back up helper.
They all got to choose if they wanted to decorate cupcakes as pigs, sheep, or chicks.

Then they were ready to balance their cupcake sugar out with other "farm" food.
They loved dipping the strawberries in boiled (for 2.5 hours) evaporated milk which turns to Carmel.
They loved the American style pigs in a blanket (British pigs in a blanket are sausages wrapped in bacon). And they loved the kool-aid. We overheard conversations of "I want to move to America" during their American food experience. The pizza is one we've been introduced to here. The place we take-out from calls it Miss Piggy. It's cherry tomatoes cut in half to look like a pig nose, with bacon. Mmm-mmm.
 piggy banks
I guess we didn't get pictures of the final ice cream, Oreo crumbs, gummy worm, flower (chocolate striped shortbread cookie) craft that we did in the end. Between the crafts we played the relays of put on a cowboy hat, scarf, and half chaps, run back, take the clothes off, give them to the next team member who then runs back to get dressed.

Then we split into 3 teams. Each team chose and animal noise, then mixed up, closed their eyes, and had to find their team mates by listening for their animal noise.

They were all great sports and had a good time I think.

Happy Birthday Kalysta! We'll have to start thinking now of how your next  party (possibly in 4 more years) will be.

6 comments:

Kaela said...

Wow!!! How fun!! The food looks DE-LISH, the decorations adorable (and I love that you can re-use it!), the games, and EVERYTHING look SOOO great!! Way to go Sherrill!!! And a BIG Happy (late) Birthday to Kalysta:)!!

Ali said...

Happy birthday Kalysta, indeed! Looks like a fun party to me! Lucky Kalysta!

Matt & Viki said...

Looks like everything turned out GREAT! Happy Birthday Kalysta:) Great idea on reusing the banner! Way to go on all the food for everyone Sherrill.

Ethatch said...

That Ali comment was from Mom, on Ali's computer.

Ali said...

I want to go to this party! Everything looks like it turned out perfectly. Way to go. I love all your ideas, crafts, and games! What a success.

Beau said...

I want Sherrill to do a birthday party for me....I loved the barn...nice, real nice!! G-Pa Neal