Saturday, 6 June 2009

festivities

Last year, for Ady's birthday she got a new outfit and was going to the seaside for a school field trip so I let her open the outfit gift before school. Of course, once a good precidence is started it needs to stick. There wasn't a new outfit to wear to school this year (uniforms) but we let her open a gift anyway. She chose Grandma's craft gift. Some serious painting went on early in the morning before breakfast and before getting dressed for school.


You know I just put the pictures of my home decorated cakes up for your enjoyment. Everyone needs a good laugh on a blog once in a while.
Luckily my culinary skills taste good and mostly just lack on the presentation side.
Let's get this party started!
We colored a poster for Ady while people were arriving. A good idea if more than 2 of the 8 like to color. Since Ady loves playing outside we had a bit of a picnic theme since it was raining outside. We played the picnic getting to know names game, pictionary of our favorite park activity, hangman (only we hung an ant) of our favorite picnic food, but some ants stole our party favors and party food so we had to go on a scavenger hunt to find them. Here are my rhymes since I had a hard time finding any online in case anyone (or myself in the future) needs ideas (Thanks for the help Ali)
************************************************************

Follow these clues and you will find
Your surprises waiting not too far behind.
Hope you're good with nursery rhymes.

Hickory Dickory Dock, the mouse ran up the _____
The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the ________
The ants went marching two by two, the little one stopped to tie his ________
Rub a dub dub, three men in a _______
The ants went marching eight by eight, the little one stopped to shut the ______
One, two, buckle my shoe, three, four, knock on the ______
And the ______(dish?) ran away with the spoon
Good night sleep tight don't let the _____ bugs bite
Ladybug, Ladybug, fly away home. Your house is on ______
************************************************************

I think they enjoyed taking the ant clipart printed on cardstock out of each bag and acting grossed out and mad at the ants for taking our things. At each clue we also found clipart of a plate, main dish, silverware, fruit, veg, drink, and dessert. They velcroed it in random order on a laminated picture of a picnic basket. When they came down to the "fire" where Beau was roasting hot dogs, they had to get their things in the order they were on the picture.

This game did not go over well with these proper british little girls. They were not happy about eating their dessert first before their main course, and not having a fork or a plate to eat it with. I would feel bad about a flopped game, but I thought it was a bit entertaining at how disguisted they were. I didn't make them follow the rules of the game for too long.
Of course at the very end we had to play "pass the parcel". And we introduced them to "London Bridges"

5 comments:

Clark and Liesel said...

Love your blog! Your girls are so cute! Glad you guys are doing well. Looks like you guys have your hands full! The birthday party sounds like so much fun! I think its funny the little british girls thought it was so interesting. When I was their age I would have LOVED to eat mt dessert before my dinner.

Kaela said...

Sooo creative Sherrill!! What a FUN birthday party!! So they haven't heard of London Bridges? Have you talked about Pass the Parcel before? Fun, fun, fun! You are such a great mama, and that chocolate bunny certainly does look de-lish! It's all about the taste anyway! It looks like a lot of work went into this and it paid off! Woohoo!!!

Ali said...

That's hilarious that the proper little girls were not exited about the dessert before dinner part!I'm sure they loved it...they just had to get over the shock of it. It sounds like it was wonderfully successful! Great job!!! Did you laminate the game? How do you find time to do stuff like that? When do you sleep?!

Ethatch said...

That's funny, and it looks like it was a lot of fun--I'm way surprised that they were so 'proper' about the food. Bet they had fun telling their parents how Americans eat dessert first though!
Very creative and fun Sherrill, I'm impressed with it all.

Matt & Viki said...

What a fun Idea! You are so good about throwing your girls birthday parties and being creative! Love that picnic theme. You will have to submit it to Family fun mag. I think it would be fun to watch the disgust of the proper girls too. Funny!