Friday, 1 August 2008

Staycation

So I think this might be my favorite summer holiday of our stays here in England. I love sleeping in our own bed, exploring the amazing places that are basically in our backyard, choosing whether to cook in our own kitchen, or eating out the whole time saving money on gas, housing, and of course I love having my husband home more.

This week on Beau's vacation day off we went to Newby Hall. Driving in, you can only drive 20 mph because you're driving through sheep fields that don't have fences. And you come across this great old church.


Upon parking you walk through this little museum area that has all of these ancient jewels, real rubies, diamonds, etc. Yeah, that huge jewel in the middle of the crown, ruby. (So I haven't been to museums much)Then you walk to the adventure playground and there is this cute train station. (I just love the adoration you can see in the girls' eyes for their dad) I stayed back with the babies but I heard there was beautiful scenery on the ride. Moving on, I soo wanted to ride on these swings, my hips just aren't the size they used to be though. You pull these ropes to get the swing "rockin". You can see the red and yellow Ady is pulling. In the states we call getting the swing to move "pumping" but that is the term for passing gas here. They have zip lines, paddle boats, rope swings, water spewing play area (the girls didn't get to play there due to the european nudiness of the children - or maybe we didn't bring our swimsuits) Wow! what more could you ask for, the only extra cost was the train ride. And of course the main attraction is this huge house from the 1700s that the original families decendants still live in, and all their beautiful gardens surrounding.
Can you feel the love?

As a sidenote, if you ever come across a lady with 5 girls under the age of 6 with twins, she knows she has her hands full, you don't need to remind her. She would rather you comment on good things and brag about her kids, rather than commiserate with you. And - do you really want the details on if they are going to keep trying for a boy? Any pledges for every time I am asked that? This could be my new get rich quick scheme.

4 comments:

Kaela said...

How very 'green' of you to choose a 'staycation.' Though I realize being green was probably more like one of the side benefits, I've decided staycations are probably what I will always tend to lean towards (Though visiting family alone may prove to always my vacations and don't really allow me to 'stay' much).

I have always loved the idea of traveling and want to see the world, I think most places have so much to offer that we don't take advantage of. It is SO cost effective and just practical really for families. This looks like it was SO much fun! Wish I could see it all first hand.

Having said all that... I really DO want to take a vacation to England while you guys live there and think a staycation in England is 400% better than a staycation in Utah. Lucky yous!!! Sorry this is so long!

Ali said...

Your girls are already more cultured than I am and I have 20 years on them! They look like they are having a blast. I love the pictures. How lucky they are to get to hang with Dad so often these past few weeks! It's good to know what NOT to say to Mothers of a lot---I think I'm one of those "cliche commenters". What else do you say?/! I need to focus on COMMENTS, and be optomistic. I think I naturally gravitate toward pessimism and would commisurate more too. But it sure wouldn't be hard to find great comments to say about your beautiful family! You've done a GREAT job thus far:)


.....ps, are you going to try for a boy? ;)

Ethatch said...

Great pictures...the girls look like they're really enjoying it all. We showed them to some at the Linde reunion and they loved them.
Mom

adventure knitter said...

I know what you mean about getting comments! And I don't even have as many kids! We were taking a walk the other day and an old man that lives on our block looked at me w/ my prego belly, holding my girls hands and asked "Are they ALL yours?" All? You mean both girls? And the baby inside me? Ummm...yes. Thank you sir.